Try out these five yoga stretches for neck pain
Practicing yoga stretches for neck pain will help alleviate the tension causing abnormal postures that we may accidentally indulge in day-to-day. Oftentimes we are so involved in our daily activities that we end up practicing bad habits such as hunching over a computer screen or being in another position of poor posture. Let’s change that.
Did you know our heads weigh over ten pounds? Our necks and backs aren’t getting any better by slumping over our computers or while lounging on our couches and beds. In a time where a lot of people are either working from home or mobily, we may be in our own comfort zones and unaware of the self inflicting harm we may be causing. We’ll go over five simple yoga stretches for neck pain that should make any discomfort go away.
One of the most simple yoga stretches for neck pain is the shoulder roll.
- With feet hip-width apart, stand and brace the core
- In one motion, roll shoulders up, back, and down
- Repeat ten times
- In one motion, roll shoulders up, forward, and down
- Repeat ten times
Standing Forward Fold
Give the neck, back, and legs a nice stretch.
- With feet hip-width apart, stand with knees bent slightly
- Bring belly button toward spine to engage the core
- Fold forward while resting palms on floor
- Hang head toward floor
- Continue inhaling and exhaling for 4 to 6 breaths
The neck can be stretched and flexed to relieve tension.
- Start on all fours with hands under shoulders and knees under hips
- Inhale and fill the belly with air
- Lower toward floor and look up while slightly tilting the head back
- Keep head in position while lowering chin
- Exhale and turn to look over left shoulder
- Hold position for ten seconds and return to center
- Tuck in chin and round the spine
- Hold position and hang the head down
- Shake head side to side, forward and back.
- Repeat on other side
The sphinx stretch expands the shoulders and strengthens the spine.
- Lay flat on stomach with elbows under shoulders
- Press on palms and forearms
- Tighten lower back, butt, and thighs for support while lifting the head and upper torso
- Look straight forward and stretch the spine
- Hold for two minutes
Thread The Needle
- Start on all fours with wrists under shoulders and knees under hips
- Lift left hand and reposition across the chest to the right along the floor
- With the left palm facing up, press left hand into floor for support
- Rest body on left shoulder and look to the right
- Hold for 30 seconds
- Reset to all fours and repeat on other side