Try out Russian Twists ab exercises if you’re short on time
Russian Twists ab exercises are a great method to strengthen your abs and shoulders. It’s a very popular workout among athletes because of its benefits in rotational movement, which occurs frequently in sports. Though it may look simple, Russian Twists ab exercises require a good amount of core strength and support to execute.
The Russian twist is supposed to have been named after one of the exercises devised for Soviet soldiers during the Cold War, yet it is now an international exercise due to its popularity. The traditional Russian twist will help you sculpt abs fast while targeting your obliques, hip flexors, transverse abdominis, and more. Provided below are the directions to get you started.
Traditional Russian Twist
- Sit down, press feet into the floor, and extend legs straight out
- Lean back and form a V-shape with the torso and thighs
- Brace and engage abdominal and back muscles
- Keep legs in place and arms straight out
- Twist or swing torso side to side
- Breathe deeply and exhale with each twist
- Inhale as you return to center
It’s not as simple as it sounds, right? After 1 repetition, try to do 8 to 16 reps for a set. Make sure to rest if you come across any muscle fatigue. Then practice 1 to 2 more sets.
There’s also a few variations of Russian Twists ab exercises: leg cross twist, punch twists, and decline twists.
Leg Cross Twist
- Cross left calf over the right calf as you twist to the left
- Uncross when twisting back to center
- Cross right calf over the left calf as you twist to the right
- Sit back lightly with bent knees and press feet to floor
- Hold hands to chest and keep back straight
- Exhale when twisting right and use left arm to punch over to the right side
- Inhale as you return to center, and repeat on the other side
- Use a decline bench and sit on while holding a weight
- Twist as you would in the Traditional Russian Twist
There you have it! Russian Twists ab exercises can be done in a short amount of time and will help sculpt abs faster than you think! If you have any injuries or health concerns about this workout, please check with your doctor or personal trainer.